What is Child Support?

In California both parents of a child have a legal obligation to provide financial support for the child while he or she is a minor (under the age of 18). Sometimes a parent does not understand that they have a support obligation because the child was born out of wedlock or was adopted. Regardless if the child is your natural child, adopted, or born out of wedlock if they are under the age of 18 you have a legal obligation to support them.

How is Child Support Determined?

Child support is not need based. Child support is based on a complex mathematical calculation and is referred to as “guideline support.” There are many things that are considered in this calculation including the time each parent spends with the child, income of both parents, the needs of the child, and how many children require support. If you need help determining how much child support you are entitled to or how much you have to pay, an attorney at the Law Office of Margaret D. Wilson can help. We represent clients with all types of child support issues. We help people obtain child support and collect child support as well as help people reduce their child support when needed.

How can I reduce or increase my Child Support payments?

Once the court has entered Judgment child support can only be changed if there has been a substantial change of circumstances. The party seeking to reduce support can either show that they have had a substantial change of circumstances or that the other parent has had a substantial change of circumstances which will reduce or increase child support. A substantial change of circumstance can be a change in custody time, increase in income, decrease in income, or when the child has graduated high school and is 18 years of age. To discuss how you can increase or reduce your child support, call a child support attorney at the Law Office of Margaret D. Wilson for a free consultation.
At the Law Office of Margaret D. Wilson we understand that dealing with child support issues can be extremely stressful for our clients. We listen to our clients to determine what we can do to help them meet their objectives. If you need to start receiving child support or change a child support order it is important that you have a Child Support Attorney who is savvy and will fight for your rights.

If you are looking for an attorney that is sensible and effective then call us today for a free one time 30 minute attorney consultation at 818-435-4149.